"It's great to be coming back to Mississippi," says Jacki-O. She was last in the state in 2008 promoting her book GROWN & GANGSTA with Conversations Book Club. "The people showed me so much love, and I'm glad to be meeting my fans again and talking about the importance of reading.
Cyrus Webb, President of Conversations Book Club and the founder of Hip Hop and Books, is glad to be working with the artist and author again in the Magnolia State. "Jacki-O and I are not just business associates," says Webb. "She is a friend, and it has been great to see how people have responded to the message in her first book as well as her journey as an entertainer."
Webb was chosen by platinum-selling recording artist C-Murder---the publisher of Jacki-O's first book---to coordinate her first book tour. The two have worked together ever since.
Since her last visit to Mississippi, Jacki-O has been busy on her music, doing shows across the country and working on her autobiography called RELENTLESS. She has also been giving back to the community, becoming an Ambassador for the non-profit group Community Options which works with those with disabilities and becoming the national spokesperson for the Hip Hop and Books Literacy Campaign which encourages reading among the urban community.
During this year's visit, Jacki-O will be visiting schools,libraries and other locations talking about her own experiences, the messages she hopes people get from the book GROWN & GANGSTA as well as the importance of reading and using books to better yourself. "I think one of the most important lessons I have learned from C-Murder and Jacki-O is that you can never judge a book by its cover," says Webb. "Both of them have used their celebrity to empower others and show how you don't have to let your circumstances determnine what you can accomplish in life."
Joining Jacki-O will be Texas authors Jermnine Demouchette (JAMES DEMOUCHETTE VS. THE STATE OF TEXAS), Mr. Mean Mug (TATTOO TEARS) and D. D. Turner (Chronicles of a Hip Hop Legend).
Copies of her book GROWN & GANGSTA will be available for the discounted price of $10 each. Here is the authors' public schedule for Mississippi:
THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2010
* 8:30-10:30a.m., Peeples Middle School (Jackson, MS)
* 11:30-1:30p.m., Morrison Academic Center (Jackson, MS)
* NEW! 2:30-4:30p.m., Meet and Greet/Signing @ Subway Restaurant inside Wal-Mart (HWY 18 * Jackson, MS)
* 6-8p.m., Meet and Greet/Signing @ Appetizers Restaurant (3086 HWY 80 E * Pearl, MS)
FRIDAY, APRIL 16, 2010
* 10-11:30a.m. --- Subway Restaurant (Wal-Mart, HWY 18 * Jackson, MS)
* 1-3p.m., Meet and Greet/Signing @ Pearl Public Library 2416 Old Brandon Road * Pearl, MS)
* 6-7:30p.m., Meet and Greet/Signing @ Appetizers Restaurant (3086 HWY 80 E * Pearl, MS)
* NEW! 8:30-10p.m.: Meet and Greet/Signing @ The Locker Room Lounge (205 Capital St. * Jackson, MS), hosted by Montana Esco
SATURDAY, APRIL 17, 2010
* 12-3p.m., Hip Hop and Books Rally at Smith Park (Downtown Jackson, MS) --- musical performances by independent recording artists (including D.I.G. M.E., Spida, Blak Jewel, Kut Supreme, Young Kizzle and more), art exhibit by C. A. Webb and others as well as a meet and greet/signing with authors Jermnine Demouchette and D. D. Turner (Chronicles of a Hip Hop Legend)as well as a special tribute to recording artist C. Watts aka Playa Connected with special guests Lo Watts and Yellow Boy.
* Literary supporters include Jackmove Entertainment, For The People Productions, Real Deal Entertainment, Mugumental Inc., D.I.G.M.E., Hype Magazine, S.T.I.L.L. Magazine, Blacklight Publishing, Hip Hop Gives Back, Vitaminwater of Louisville (KY) courtesy of Herschel Dixon and the Read or Die campaign, HHH Magazine and Hunidracks Energy Drinks.
For interview requests, more information about Jacki-O's visit or any of the events associated with it, contact Cyrus Webb at email@example.com or 601.896.5616. Details can also be found at www.hiphoploversread.webs.com or http://www.shadowplayent.com.