"Read My Lips" is the new initiative began in November 2006 to encourage reading and writing among those both young and old. We want to help feed a passion for the written and spoken word to help individuals continue to mold the future. Want to know how you can be featured? Contact us at cawebb4@juno.com or 601.896.5616.

Get your literary word search ebook for only $5.00

Get your literary word search ebook for only $5.00
Click the cover above to learn more!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

E. Lynn Harris' I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER an excellent read from start to finish!


Okay, I have to tell you that I am really proud of myself at this moment. Yesterday I was at the Medgar Evers Library in Jackson, MS looking for a new book to read (like I don't have enough books of my own at home), when I came across E. Lynn Harris' book I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER. At first I passed by it, but something brought me back around to it, and after I had it in my hands I knew that I had to read it.


The book is my first of Harris' to read, and now that I have completed it in less than 24 hours, I don't really know exactly why. He has definitely outdid himself in a book that focuses on the importance of self-expression, self-respect and more importantly than anything else, self-love.

The main characters burst onto the pages with just enough depth to let you into their world, and wish that they shared a bit of your own.

Most people know that I am a sucker for anything with real social issues, and that is exactly what this book delivers: a book that is filled with messages about the role of sexuality in the church and politics as well as how much we respond and respect others that might be different. Harris even manages to get into the relationship between parents and their children and the domestic violence debate with this book has something for everyone.

I loved it. There is no better way to say it. There is nothing like a book that lets you find characters that have depth and real character... and that don't mind working hard to get what they want.

So many times you find books by African Americans who don't have any real worth. Not so with this bestselling novel. I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER is built on the power of a strong work ethic, and you can feel the passion of the characters--- and their need to succeed in all areas of their lives.

Thank you E. Lynn for this book. I know I had contacted you last year about an interview and didn't follow through on it--- and for that I apologize. Be on the lookout for me now, though.

This book will have me talking for quite some time.

No comments: